0

What do you say?

Posted by Brian on 10:49 PM
I once heard Rob Bell ask the question, "Do I speak because I have something to say, or because I have to say something?" He spoke the position of a frustrated pastor - standing before, in his case, thousands - wondering what he was doing up there. From experience, I know the struggle. Sometimes, even in the blogosphere, I feel the urge to say something before I really have something to say. And it shows. So no, I don't feel guilty for being silent since February 8, or whenever it was I last posted.

Over the last few days I've had the images of Steve Saint, Jim Elliott, Ed McCully, Roger Youderian and Pete Fleming in my mind. Not just their faces, but their words and their lives. Pages from their journals (found on Wikipedia) where in their own writing they express their passion and desire to see the Auca people transformed from savages to Christ-followers. Images of their wives, gathered around the kitchen table, as Art Johnson tells them how their husbands had died. Just a few weeks ago I stood outside the Saint's old house, dilapidated and termite infested, and looked in the window where the radio once sat, where Nate's wife waited for the radio call that never came.

I'm still looking for words, but they are coming. I'm working on a multimedia presentation to retell the story. I can't compete with Steven Curtis Chapman, or the writers and producers that created The End of the Spear. But I don't have to. The story has had it's own impact on me, and I think it has fresh application for those of us who are called to carry the Good News today.

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 briantology All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.