0

Memory Lane

Posted by Brian on 10:01 PM
A few weeks ago I did some filming in Washington, DC for the Fellowship of Christian Lumbermen. I didn't sell a lot of DVDs, but one of the guys who bought one lives in Waterloo, so I decided to deliver his personally tonight. I dropped off Maddy at the church and punched his address into "Judy" - my GPS unit ;-). Anyway, as "Judy" led me along the 401, and then Hwy 8 and the Conestoga Parkway, things began to look familiar. I turned onto Albert Street, and then left on Longwood and right onto Moccasin Dr. Turns out my friend lives just around the corner from one of the houses I grew up in, from '76 to '81.

I remember my Dad planting a willow tree in the front yard. It's now bigger than the house. I was telling my friend that my Dad built a bench into the fence for people to sit on while they waited for the bus. His daughter remembered what a great idea that was.

I drove along the streets I used to walk to school, and eventually found it. The school seems much smaller now.

The remarkable thing was, I really didn't need "Judy". As I slowly drove through the old neighborhood, the street names and rights and lefts all came right back to me after 30 years. What is that? How do our brains lock that kind of information away, only to bring it back when we need it.

Makes me wonder what Maddy and Shaniah will remember when they are 38 and 41.

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 briantology All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.