0

Are you a Christian?

Posted by Brian on 4:07 PM
Maddy had a friend over yesterday. As I was taking my Sunday afternoon siesta (or trying too), they played in the pool. Maddy got this concerned look on her face, and asked her friend, "Are you a Christian?" No lead up questions. No cleverly guided conversation. No four spiritual laws. Just the question, "Are you a Christian?" Her friend was just as blunt. "I don't like God." Tears began to well up in Maddy's eyes. "I want my friends to be Christians, that's all." At this, her friend said, "I was just kidding. I like God. Really." Maddy pulled herself together and they went back to playing Polly Pockets by the pool.

What amazed me was how matter-of-fact her approach was. For Maddy this was a big deal, cut and dry, just the simple facts. I don't know when it happened, but I lost that kind of simple logic a long time ago. I can't remember the last time I asked one of my friends if they were Christian. I am sure that my friends have a lock on what they believe. The last thing they want is someone nosing into their spiritual life, or lack thereof. When they are ready, they'll ask me. I know. I can invite them to a "seeker service" where someone else can ask the question. That way, they won't be ticked at me.

Or I could just ask, "are you a Christian?"

|

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 briantology All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.